About | GPA 180: New Power Plant Project
Overview: The new 180-megawatt power plant is crucial for Guam’s sustainable energy requirements.
- The $400 million investment will be located in Dededo.
- Replaces the two power Cabras plants left inoperable by the explosion and fire of August 2015.
- Allows for retirement of Cabras 1 and Cabras 2 plants.
- Allows integration of existing solar photovoltaic sources of renewable energy and an additional 130 megawatts from planned solar photovoltaic farms.
- Complies with federal environmental standards.
Important Features The new 180-megawatt power plant is
- Efficient (uses less fuel)
- Has clean emissions
- Allows for fuel diversity
- Works well with solar and other renewables
FAQs What are some advantages of the GPA 180: New Power Plant?
- Reliable! Uses simple and efficient technology.
- Capable of meeting our island’s future energy demands.
- Costs less to operate
Why does the new GPA 180: New Power Plant Project cost less to operate?
- Burns clean ULSD (Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel) and natural gas instead of “heavy” fuel.
- Diverse fuel sources results in stabilized fuel recovery charges.
How will the new power plant impact the environment?
- The new power plant integrates existing and future sources of renewable energy into the island wide power system.
- In addition, the new plant is compliant with U.S. EPA and Guam EPA regulations.
Why was Dededo chosen as the site of the power plant?
- Increased reliability was a key factor.
- The new plant will be near an existing GPA substation that has many underground transmission lines.
- The underground lines increase the potential to operate continuously during typhoons and to provide a quicker recovery for all customers after typhoons.
- The location near dense population provides efficiency for delivering power.
What are the environmental benefits of this site?
- The location is not subject to storm surges, tsunamis, sea level rise and other climate change impacts.
- The site does not impact the aquifer which supplies almost all of the freshwater used by the population of Guam.
- Up to three million gallons per day of treated sewer water will be diverted to the plant for cooling purposes.
Presentations at Public Meetings: top of pageAstumbo Public Meeting Presentation 05 January 2018 Presentation.pdf Download
Tamuning Municipal Informational Meeting 17 January 2018 Presentation.pdf Download
Maps and Images: top of pageUkudu Maps and Images Download pdf
Videos of Public Meetings: top of page
GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Public Meeting: Bill 223-34 Time/Location: 6-7 p.m., Fri., Jan. 5, 2018, Astumbo Senior Center, Dededo, Guam Topic: A new 180-megawatt power plant that is crucial for Guam’s secure energy future.Part 01 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Welcome, Needs and Advantages Video 13:06
Part 02 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Environmental Details, Questions Video 20:00
Part 03 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Air Quality Question Video 1:03
Part 04 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Questions Transporting Fuel and Zoning Video 8:35
Part 05 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Questions Zoning and Safety Video 20:00
Part 06 GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Public Meeting Wrap Up Video :51
GPA 180: New Power Plant Project Public Meeting: Bill 223-34 Time/Location: 6-8 pm, Wed., Jan. 17, 2018, Tamuning Senior Citizens Center Topic: A new 180-megawatt power plant that is crucial for Guam’s secure energy future.Part 01 Guam 180: Tamuning Public Meeting Welcome, Introductions, Overview Video 20:00
Part 02 GPA 180: Tamuning Public Meeting Explanation of the location and questions about emissions. Video 20:00
Part 03 GPA 180: Tamuning Public Meeting How customers’ bills will be affected and how the plant will be financed. Video 20:00
Part 04 GPA 180: Tamuning Public Meeting Questions about safety and zoning. Video 12:48
Part 05 GPA 180: Tamuning Public Meeting Low traffic volume and meeting wrap up. Video 5:10
top of page
Media Briefing Public Meeting: Bill 223-34 Time/Location: 10-11 am, Tues., Jan. 23, 2018, Gloria B. Nelson Public Service Building Topic: The Guam 180: New Power Plant.Part 01 - Guam 180: New Power Plant Media Briefing Video 20:00
Part 02 - Guam 180: New Power Plant Media Briefing Video 20:00
Part 03 - Guam 180: New Power Plant Media Briefing Video 5:32
top of page